Rich, satisfying slow- cooked beef stew with tamarind, soy and Chinese spice sauce, served with noodles
Ingredients for 4 diners:
• 1 kg beef neck, cut into 3X3 cm cubes
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 1 finely chopped carrot
• 1 finely chopped celery stalk
• 50gr chopped garlic
• 50gr crushed ginger
• 100gr tomato paste
• 200gr tamarind (from specialty stores)
• 1 teaspoon ground cilantro seeds
• 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek/ fenugreek powder
• 1 spoon brown sugar
• 1 finely chopped hot chili
• 50ml soy
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 100ml oil
• 400-500gr ramen/ rice/ egg noodles or white rice
1. Warm oil to hot temperature and fry meat cubes for 8-10 minutes until brown. Take out from the pan and put aside.
2. Fry onion, celery, carrot and chili over medium/ low flame for 15 minutes until soften. Add garlic and ginger and fry for 2 more minutes. Then add spices, cilantro and fenugreek and fry for a minute until ”opened” and emit amazing scents.
3. Add tomato paste, fry for another minute and add pre- fried meat cubes.
4. Add tamarind, soy, salt, pepper and brown sugar, pour water until covered. Boil, lower the flame and cook for 3 hours. At the end, enhance the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Prepare noodles or rice according to the manufacturer's instructions and served the rich stew on top.